Welcome to 2017! It’s gonna be a heckuva year! Forget about politics — here’s some of the stuff I’m looking forward to in 2017:
1) Series 10 of Doctor Who!!!!! More of the Twelfth Doctor (or, as my nine-year-old calls him, “Doctor Eyebrows”), new companions, new adventures . . . I can’t wait!
2) The total solar eclipse across the United States, August 21. I’ve already made plans; my family will be camping across South Dakota and Wyoming, aiming to observe the event itself in Casper, Wyoming, which is expected to be way busier than it normally is; the longest duration will be closer to the tourist-trap haven of Branson, Missouri, but Wyoming is predicted to have the most reliable weather. If you have not made plans, well, expect everything to be booked solid already….. I’ve been anticipating this one for about twenty years. 😉
3) The Falcon 9 return-to-flight mission. After the shocking launchpad mishap last year, Falcon 9’s had a bit of a downtime, and now has a backlog to process. They’re looking to return to flight possibly early in January, with a 10-spacecraft launch out of Vandenberg AFB on behalf of the Iridium NEXT constellation.
4) Possibly also the Falcon Heavy maiden flight. Resembling a Delta IV Heavy, and likewise comprised of three cores strapped together, the Falcon Heavy will be the most powerful rocket in the world when it finally launches. It’s a crucial element of SpaceX’s larger aspirations – they still have Mars in their sights.
5) November 13, there will be a very close conjunction of Jupiter and Venus. They’ll be closer together than the width of the full moon in the sky, a rare visual treat.
6) New Mythbusters, perhaps? With the annual Mythbusters Mega-Marathon underway, I’ve got Mythbusters on the brain; but it would be lovely to get some new ones. Jamie and Adam have moved on, but Discovery is running a sort of game show to select their successors. Should be interesting! Expect explosions!
Talking of stuff on the screen, there are some awesome-looking movies coming:
7) LEGO Batman! Really, ’nuff said. 😉
8) Beauty and the Beast looks pretty amazing too:
9) Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Luc Besson is amazing, and this movie is seriously his baby. The comic book it’s based upon was a huge inspiration and influence to him growing up, so this should be pretty spectacular.
So, there’s a taste of stuff to look forward to in the new year! There’s definitely some cool stuff coming our way. 😉 How about you? What are you looking forward to in 2017?