It’s never easy, letting a Doctor go . . . whether they’re in for a year (Eccleston), two seasons (Colin Baker), the typical three, or the marathon seven that Tom Baker had, it’s still not easy to see them go. But! At least we get to find out while we still have a whole new season of Capaldi ahead of us! That makes it a bit easier. And he’s getting a new companion, who I hope can stick around to bridge into the new Doctor and the new showrunner for Series 11.
So what do we have to look forward to, in Capaldi’s final season as “Doctor Eyebrows”, as my youngest daughter calls him?
- the new companion, a girl named Bill
- Bill, who is apparently a Prince fan
- And we have two companions! Nardole is staying on after the last Christmas special, which means we have the first male companion since Rory, and the first non-human companion (unless you stretch and count River Song) since Turlough in the early 80s.
- the Movellans appear to be back! for the first time since “Destiny of the Daleks”, featuring Tom Baker and Lalla Ward in 1979 — if you’re not a classic Who fan, they’re beautiful androids who are completely opposed to the Daleks — and everybody else.
- there have been rumors (sparked by a teasing remark by Peter Capaldi) that Clara is back in some form — however, Jenna Coleman says she did not record anything as Clara, and ruled out a cameo as well, so it sounds like something more oblique
- Missy is back, however! The latest deliciously evil incarnation of the Doctor’s Time Lord nemesis will return.
- The Ice Warriors are also back, again written by Mark Gatiss, and apparently featuring a new type of Ice Warrior — intriguing!
- Alas, Peter Jackson directing still appears to be a pipe dream, unless they’ve managed to really shock us all with some amazing secret shooting
So, there are some nice juicy hints in there! What more may be waiting for us?